I usually avoid depositing cheques over the counter as I find it much easier to use the ATM as I don't have to stand in a que.
As a member of society who holds a degree and even managed to pass accounting at university (mind you, the second time around), one would think that I'm fairly capable of filling out a banking deposit form - yes they make you fill out one of these things before you can give them money.
Why they have to do it this way and why I can't just stick my card into the little machine next to the teller, like I do at the ATM, is beyond my understanding.
Now bear in mind that the average South African who deposits money into a bank has to fill this out as well. If you haven't seen these forms yet, click on the thumbnail.
Apart from the obvious clutter:
In actual fact let's score this little form. 1 point if I manage to understand what they want me to fill in and 0 if I don't know. We'll do a cumulative scoring as we go along (reading from left to right on the form)
1. Credit. Am I a credit? Are they asking for my name? Why not just ask me for my name? score: 0
2. Date. This one I know! Score 1
3. Teller stamp. "No cheque exceeding R5 million can be accepted." Guess I'm safe here. If this is for office use why not put it on the right of the form where it's easy for the teller to stamp it, as most people are right handed and would use the left hand to hold the form on the left hand side. Putting it close to where I need to complete my bits confuses me.
Ok, half a point as I sort of know that it's not for me. score 1.5
4. Drawer's name. mmmm, I'm making a deposit not a withdrawal. So I'm leaving this blank. score 1.5
5. Bank. Well depending on the previous answer... nope sorry. Unless they mean my bank.. ABSA. score 1.5
6. Branch name/clearing code. uuuuhh ABSA. score 1.5
"I accept the conditions printed below". Which conditions? I only see a space for my name.
7. Name. excellent. score 2.5
8. Signature. no problem. score 3.5
9. Tel. I assume this is a telephone number they are asking for. score 4.5
10. Notes. none of these. score 5.5
11. Coins. no coins. score 6.5
12. MO/PW and /en PO. What the ...!! no fk sc 6.5
13. Subtotal. Of what? score 6.5
14. Total. This one I can do. score 7.5
15. Acc no. Short for Account Number I think. score 8.5
16. Dep reference. No idea what this means. score 8.5
So in essence I basically understood about 53% of this deposit form. Yikes! Why do you make it so difficult for me to give you money? Why do accountants design these forms???
If this is the deposit form can you imagine what the withdrawal looks like?!